Friday 21 February 2014

Visit to National Museum and Snake Park with Kids

My kids are in term break and I wanted to do something with them. Something educational and fun. Unfortunately, except playing outside in the compound, there are not much activities for kids. Surely, playing outside is great and they are loving it. But still I want to take my kids to movies, live plays, museums, and child friendly exhibitions but there are none!

There are movie theatres in and around Nairobi, but after what happened in West Gate and non stop threats I am not taking them any closed areas/places, not even I go these places. Maybe I am way too afraid, but still when it is about safety, it is not a subject where you want to take any risk, at least these are my taught...

So, yesterday I took my kids the National Museum, probably this was my fifth time already. Imagine, with every visitor you get to go to the same places which there are not many and like a tour guide you have to give information! Anyhow, since they were my children I did not mind:)

National Museum and Snake Park are in the same place, what a weird combinations, right? I still do not understand the logic behind it:)

One of the areas works very well in Nairobi is getting an entrance ticket in museums, national parks, or game drives! Fees are published and they are displayed on the walls. And ticket agents are anxiously wait for you! Since we are residents, I paid 900ksh (combo ticket for the museum and snake park) for myself and for my 7yrs old, they do not charge for small kids, my son is 3yrs old. National Museum is very small, is never crowded, and only two story and some part of is empty. The first ground displays wild animals, artifacts and human and animal skeletons. And second level is Kenyan history.  I noticed they recently opened  a new part for birds since Kenya is home for thousands of bird species coming with all kinds of colours and sizes.  Both levels are ok from educational point and do not take lots of time to view.

There are also cafe and shops where you can purchase Kenyan souvenir.

Our next step was the snake park which my kids found very interesting and entertaining, much better. Than museum experience!. There are lots of snakes on glass window display. However the windows were so filthy and dirty we had a hard time to see the snakes, sometimes used our imagination!!! At some point I felt bad for the snakes because of the poor conditions....There are also few crocodiles and reptiles, for some reason the fences did not make me feel safe! And in the middle there is a huge space for turtles.

So overall it was an ok experience for kids, unfortunately there was nothing excited or entertaining for them, descriptions are very short and does not make even an adult interested, from kids view my seven years old said it was ok, museum was almost point to boring:(

Unfortunately, getting there was a nightmare. So if you plan to visit the museum try to be there after lunch time and return before 4pm otherwise, these never ending constructions will get your nerves!



No comments:

Post a Comment