Sunday 28 April 2013

For Fitness Enthusiasts


Not a lot of people are fitness enthusiast, but hey, I am one of them. If I skip my exercise routine, I feel something is missing. Right after we moved here, I started my research. So even though this subject is not a priority for most people, I am sure there are some who move to Nairobi or are planning to move who would like to know where to exercise and what the options are.

Nairobi weather can be the best in terms of exercising outside, especially for activities such as jogging, walking, and cycling. The only downside is the altitude, which is 1,680m. In Karen, it is a little bit higher. If you are not used to exercising at high altitudes, you will probably have a little bit of a breathing problem[AA1] , at least at the start. When you are out, especially on Ngong Road, you can see Kenyan marathoners getting ready for next one. You probably know by now why they always come in first! Exercising outside here will be one of my best memories to look back on in future. Where else can you see baboons playing on trees when you exercise:)?  All these big trees give a wonderful breeze and the birds are singing along. If you use back roads, it is much quieter and nicer, so you indulge in more of a one-of-a-kind experience.

For indoor exercising, since I am living in Karen, I can only talk for my area. There are not many gyms around in terms of what you expect if you come from a country like the US or a major metropolitan city. There is one on Karen Road, but I have never gotten my foot[AA2]  inside, and there are some small studios that are run by ladies (mostly). They are on a class basis and include no major equipment. According to my research, there are some in Runda area as well. Since I am a regular student in one of these studios, I would definitely recommend you to be a part of one that is close to you. These studios are ran by wonderful ladies, you make friends, you get to know your trainer, and there are coffee stops at the end of class. It is a wonderful way to exercise and socialize).

Lastly how could I forget to talk about the stables? There are many stables in and around Nairobi that are run by the locals. They have wonderful instructors for a very reasonable price. They provide horses, depending on your skill level, and equipment is provided. My daughter goes to one in Karen, and she loves it. It is one lesson she wants to go back to, which is a miracle for 7years old!

1 comment:

  1. To keep our body fit, it is very necessary to have physical and mental health good. From the young age our body need care so the our body skin take care of our body itself. To remain healthy in old age we should mange our health fitness in young age. If we take care of our health in young age then we live fit in our old age. If we not take care of our health in the old age and should escape from the diseases. Wigs for Cancer Patients

    ReplyDelete