Monday 14 April 2014

Rainy Season is Back! What to expect!

Rainy season is back with full swing! Even though I do not like rainy season much (have reasons:)), I know how important it is to have enough rain each year not only for crops but for locals and for environment too. I totally do not want to look selfish here:)

When we moved here over two years ago, I heard so much about the rains, and I thought what's talk about, right?

After the big move, first few weeks were lovely, sunny and warm. What else I could have asked more! I was running around like crazy to figure out what we needed, where the shops are, trying to figure out where I can buy curtains and much more! Middle of April, something happened, all of a sudden rains started!  I felt like there is a switch button out there, and somebody turned it on!! One whole month, it rained! Non stop! Anyway, let me get back to the conversation:) Because I can write so much about first few months here!

This time, I am well prepared, our roof has been repaired so there will not be any leakages in the house or water dripping when we sleep! (crossing my fingers even when say it!) Probably, water dripping sound is one of my nightmares! And trying to find out the little whole on the roof, is kind a like trying to find a needle in the desert!! I also have planted seeds to my veggie garden and waiting for rain. This will be second round, unfortunately first trial was a disaster! Because of the timing, birds have eaten my tomatoes! Thanks to my tomatoes, birds in Karen gained so much weight, and became like little flying balls! To stop them, we even made a scarecrow! Believe it or not, I think birds got smarter, they are not even scared of scarecrow! Yesterday, I saw, they are all sitting on it!!!!!


When the rains start, I will also make sure all the windows are closed, and outside lights are turned off, especially the ones in front of the doors! You probably ask, why, right! Because when it rains, there are these flying animals, not sure what they are called in here, but in US they are called "cicada", (I should definitely ask this to Teresia, she knows better.) They look like big butterflies, but not that cute! And they are blind! They fly to the lights! To make the matters worst, somehow, they loose their wings, and start to crawl! Ok, this sounds like a scary movie now! But really, it is what it is! They also come from soil, so next day, when you look up, soil will have lots of wholes!!!!!

Unfortunately, rains and power cuts go shoulder to shoulder! If you can afford one, an inverter or generator is a must have! There will also be water cuts, (so again if you can afford one), definitely have a water tank! Worst comes, when both power and water cuts happen at the same time! I remember when we had our first power cut, I said to myself "lucky us, we have an inverter". And than we had the water cut, and I again said to myself, "so what! we have an inverter to use to water tank!" Well, I was wrong!!! In the middle of the day we were without water and power! Because we were using the water tank, inverter battery was finished! I was in shock, I can do without power, we even play old games with my children and they are loving it! But without water is kind a pushing my limits! Now, I have two extra big water bottles (20 gallons) on side, for worst days:)

Good news is, I have never seen 24hrs cuts. And comparing with our first year, power and water cuts are much less:) 

I feel like I am only giving bad news here:( But it is better to be prepared, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment