Tuesday 16 September 2014

Friends are forever

How can one survive without a good friend in life, a person who knows you for ages, first person to call when something happens good or bad, or who do you call when you go through a break-up, sometimes you do not even need to talk for weeks or months, but when you do, you pick up where you left off, nothing is a miss.

Me and my best friend, Senem, met when we both were 17s! We were recent high school graduates going through college transition, getting ready for big government exam, a transition of  life time! We were the opposites, she was very tall, I am average, she has curly hair so curly that you can not put a comb in! I had straight hair, she was loud energetic and very outgoing, she would say whatever comes into her mind, I was reserved, cautious, Senem still says I am way too kind! She is edgy and I am way too proper.

We met through our moms, since we both have did not have many friends our moms decided we were a perfect fit! Seriously, because of their hard work we exchanged phone numbers, and she called me and we went to see a movie together! Ah that sounds so awkward!!! Honestly, when we met I thought she was weird, after years later, I also learned she thought the same for me!!!!! So, moms were right, we were a perfect fit indeed:) That's how we became best friends. When were young ( am not that old, ok!) we did not have cell phones or ipads, we only had land line phones! We got in touch through our moms. Every six months either I would go to Istanbul to see her, or we would just meet in the middle! Because where I went to college was 9 hrs drive to Istanbul! Than  after college graduation, I made a decision to study my masters in US, she was the one who supported me and promised she would come and see me, we had no idea how though! But she did for real:)

So right after I turned 23, I moved to US and lived majority of my life out of Turkey.  But we made it, lots of things changed in our lives but our friendship was one thing never changed! Somehow if something happened in our lives, we knew it, even though we were thousand of miles away. Our friendship got stronger each and every year.  She was my witness in my marriage ceremony, I was her's (her's did not last long though, hey I have done my part!). We gave birth 5 weeks apart, we were the first people to hold our babies. We spent so many New Year Eves together. When I took my first baby to ER she was the one who came there with big balloons to cheer us up. Or when I was in the hospital she was the one who held my hand and told me our funny stories to make me laugh.

Probably she is the only one person whom I wait for the birthday phone call every year, and I know she is the same. And no matter what our birthday gifts would be ready months ahead, and we always give each other clues. And that's one gift box I cannot wait to open:) Even our husbands know this and accept it!

Still, whenever I go back home, third day is always our day, and every single person in our families know this! I jump on the car and we meet for lengthy breakfast, jumping from one subject to another!

Senem, this blog is for you and our true friendship...




No comments:

Post a Comment