Saturday 6 September 2014

Back in town!

During our return flight from Istanbul to Nairobi, my daughter said 'you know what mom, Kenya is my first home, I love Kenya', I had a glimpse of her and noticed happiness in her face and in her voice. For an eight years old, who changed so many schools, homes, places and friends she is never be the one who complains. And each and every experience she feels home and safe.

After a smooth landing, 'Welcome back to Nairobi mom' my daughter said again when we arrived Jomo Kenyatta International Airport this past Saturday at 1am. When we were getting out of the plane, I saw Kenyans and their smiling warm faces, it really did feel like a home. So my view on 'home' has changed so much after all these experiences. I used to think, home is where I was born and grow up. (Probably that's where my confusion started! because I was born in US and spent half of my life in Turkey and half of it in US, now adding Kenya into equation!). Now home is where we make our living with all ups and downs as a family.

I must admit living an expat life is no easy. You gotta have a patience and flexibility to ever changing locations, climate, air travels, food and so much more. Before each holiday season you have to find a place to stay unless you have a house! After staying in rental houses last years, this year we decided to stay at my parents house. I actually thought if I planned everything ahead it would be much easier. But let me tell you something, it is never easy to stay even at parents' house after certain age and it becomes really complicated when you have a husband and two children! Before we went away, I made my plans and thought they were perfect! I planned sending my kids to summer schools. We would have one week between until my husband arrives and we would go on a holiday. During those two weeks we would stay at resort hotel. Than we would visit in-laws for five days, and go to Izmir to see my sister. Everything worked out well with few exceptions which is well expected. As a person who would never make big deal of packing and unpacking, or travelling long hours, this time I felt little bit overwhelmed. Because doing all these things only for yourself is one thing but packing/unpacking, making reservations for hotels, cancelling, renting cars, organising beds, adjusting children ever changing environment, picking out restaurants for four people is totally something!!!! By the end of our 2 months vacation, when I opened my eyes in my bed, I took a deep breath and I felt at ease. I was happy and relieved to be home.




No comments:

Post a Comment