Saturday 5 April 2014

Travel Warnings! Stay Safe!

 Last few weeks we have been receiving travel warnings from the embassy. Following terrorist attacks in Mombasa and Eastleigh, it is recommended to be aware of surroundings and keep away from crowded places, especially during the weekends, such as shopping arcades and malls. So, please take these warnings seriously.

However I do not want to scare anyone. So here is my personal view on this: I do not feel unsafe in Karen (would not say it for city center, or some areas) I drive around with my windows down during the day, I prefer to go local shopping places to find out new items, to learn the culture, and be able to talk to locals. In the morning, I put my ipod on and go out for running, and I love it! My friends are all surprised but I tell them you cannot live your life if you are scared all the time. And not only in Kenya, but we all should be aware of our surroundings and if necessary take precautions, and this rule apply in any place in the world. Almost every morning one of the first thing I do is, browsing on CNN.com. And unfortunately, I read so many bad news happening all around.  It is very sad and disappointing. On the other side, life goes on...

What can be done and how can it be done? I believe it is very important to know and understand the culture, have a social network (one of my social network is the gym I go to), read/watch local TV, keep away from certain areas in the city, if possible do not go out at night, keep your doors locked, when out do not wear expensive jewellery, and if you have helpers, make sure they are trustworthy (but do not all these rules apply to other places in the world???) .

By saying all these, my advise: be vigilant, do not let your guard down, always keep an eye on your surroundings. Stay Safe!


No comments:

Post a Comment