Monday 28 April 2014

Furniture Stores in Nairobi

These days it is really hard to find furniture made of real solid wood! Most of the furnitures sold in stores, even the chic and expensive ones, are man-made materials which don't last long. When buying a furniture my priority has always been the material and quality, and design come last. Even the feel and look of the real wood is very different. By time, real wood also gets old but each scratch comes with a story and character. Obviously, I cannot call myself interior designer, but I love looking at magazines or furniture websites. When we moved into a new place, stopping at each and every furniture store is like my passion. Not that I buy furniture all the time, but seeing different pieces give me lots of new ideas.

When we moved here, we had a big shipment, luckily we were able to bring our furniture. I believe furniture makes you feel belonged and home. After few months later, I found myself again on the road, driving around and stopping every furniture store sign!

Most of the furniture stores in Nairobi located on Mombasa Road, while you are driving you can easily spot them. They are mostly big chains, sell anything you can think of, from dining room to an office furniture. Even though they have good quality stuff (and very expensive) I am not going to write about them. I want to write about two stores I love!

First one is also located on Mombasa Rd, it is not really on the road, but accessible by Mombasa. It is a hidden gem! Name is "Odds & Ends". They bring furniture from all over the world, have new shipments every month, store display quite amount of furniture. Comparing the quality of wood and price, it is very compatible. They also sell office furniture. Even though it is located kind a far from me, I go there every couple months to see the new items. Even though I have not bought anything from there, I just love the idea of viewing new and unique pieces. The great thing about this store, it is really hard to find these pieces somewhere else. Web site www.oddskenya.com

Second one I want to write about is, locally run very small furniture store, Wilmer Furniture. It is located on Ngong Road, right after Shell Station. They have a shop where they make the furniture and also have a separate store where they display their items. I love the craftsmanship and quality of wood. You can have custom made furniture. As a customer, you are able to choose the wood, quality, color, and finish. A year back, I wanted to have a hallway table, and draw one myself with the dimensions and everything. And took it to Wilmer, they love my draw! In a month, hallway table was in my house! I was able to visit the shop on a regular basis to check on the item. They were nice enough to allow me in their work area, and happily and patiently listened to me!!! Wilmer also repairs old, worn-out furniture. I took my daughters 5 piece set of furniture to repair and paint. They made a lovely job. It looks new as ever now! They also change fabric. My next plan is to change my dining chairs fabric and have them make a coffee table. I will keep you posted on the outcome:). Web site www.wilmerfunishings.co.ke



No comments:

Post a Comment