Tuesday 8 April 2014

Loving Local Produce:)

What's not to love about fresh fruits and veggies? If you are passionate about local produce, sustainable living and organic food, we have lots of things in common besides blogging:)

I believe it was almost ten years ago, when I started to hear about organic food, importance of eating local produce, free range chicken and eggs and sustainable living. I was living in the perfect place, US! I remember the first time I visited 'farmers market' in Fairfax, VA and how it reminded me my own childhood, where I used to go to open bazaars, now called farmers market, to buy fresh veggie and fruit with my mom and how much I loved it:) Of course, by that time, everything was local, farmers were not using pesticides and hormones, nobody heard about them...Once I started to read more and more, I started to question where I shop at and what I buy. At the end, I changed my view on eating, and what I put into my body. And right before I had my first child it became a life style. Surely, in terms of eating healthy there is gotta be a balance, you do not want to become too obsessive on that. But somewhere between, something you can afford and feel good about and enjoy.

Soon after we moved to Nairobi, like everyone who is new in the town, I shopped mainly from Nakumatt. Since it is the biggest chain in the city it was easy to find everything under one roof. However, after we settled in, I wanted to find out more about local farmers and produce. I also wanted support organic farmers. There I found about Kalimoni Greens, an Organic Farm. My veggies arrive in a big locally made basket, tomatoes are just started to turn red, you can easily smell fresh leek, avocado,, lettuce, mangoes are so colorful and smooth. When you eat your egg, it is so rich, the taste reminds your childhood:) So much more to stay. Every week,,  they send out an email order to their customers, where you get to choose from many options from veggies to fruits, dairy to home made jams and pastes. Even though I make my own pepper and tomato paste and jams, I tried Kalimoni's and they were very good. The great thing is, customers can also visit their farm:)


While I was going through internet I came across the article below and wanted to share with you on
organic farm in Nairobi.

http://www.businessdailyafrica.com/Organic-farming-now-takes-root-in-Nairobi/-/1248928/1732982/-/vwsx6i/-/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment