Wednesday 21 January 2015

All about TVT surgery

After getting so many questions via email and in person, I have decided to cover more about TVT.
To start with, TVT stands for 'Tension Free Vaginal Tape'. It sounds a little scary while I was typing:) To my experience, surgery is not scary but after what comes next can be a little!

What is TVT? and who needs it? TVT is a non invasive surgery to treat stress urinary incontinence symptoms. A narrow ribbon of mesh is placed under the urethra. TVT is kinda act as a layer of support when urethra is closed off when there is sneezing, coughing, or exercising. So the mesh basically exists on the lower abdomen through two small incisions, below the bikini line.  It is very popular past few years or so. If you are like me who had natural births, and anatomically I was also good candidate since my mom also had the same problems and at the end had the surgery.

What to expect after the surgery? This one is little tricky, after reading on the web I should say, there are really scary stories out there! If you plan on having a TVT surgery, get the information you only need, do not read excessively otherwise you can change your mind! Depending on your condition, one night stay may be required, or if you have no problem with urinating after surgery you may be send home. So like in any surgery, there are no definite answers. In my case, I had to stay two nights because my blood pressure was very low and I am kind a too sensitive to anaesthesia. By the way I was send home with a catheter which was a nightmare! I went back to see my doctor second round after few days later, it did not happen again!!! No matter how much you try if it is not going to happen, it just does not happen!!! So in a week I was again in surgery room, it was a quick one, they loosened the tape, and right after that I had no problem, it was  such a relief, believe me! There are no stitches or cuts, after the surgery you pretty much can walk and move around. The only problem is, you are not allowed to exercise neither do any lifting at all for 4-6 weeks. The reason, it is absolutely necessary for body to accept and hold TVT mesh. If the body does not scar the mesh, TVT surgery may fail. So you better do what doctor says. This is my 7th week and one more week to go! and believe me I have never had a week without any exercise in my life!

Again going back to my experience, in my second pregnancy, I complained about urinary incontinence to my doctor (in my third trimester, it came to a point where I rather would not go out, I opted stay home!), my doctor has mentioned about TVT and the benefits of it. Of course after the birth and busy life I had to put this surgery aside, I tried tp improve my condition using all technics out there, such as pilated or kegels, my problem has never gone anywhere. Whenever I got sick because muscles loosens I had the problem and believe I hated it, or when I went out for running I had to make sure to use the toilet! It is a very uncomfortable situation, and in young age you do not want to have this type of problems (ok, I may be 40yrs old, but still young:)) So, again with my doctor's advice in Istanbul, I have decided to go ahead with surgery this time. Ah by the way, have I mentioned patients are mostly woman! Are you surprised to hear this:)? Ladies, are not we the ones always have these problems!

I advise you to do your homework, talk to your doctor and make sure to ask any question you are concerned about. You can also send me an email.

No comments:

Post a Comment