Sunday 4 January 2015

Sleepless nights and jet lag!

Have you ever had a jet lag? It happens after transatlantic flight, depending on time difference, body tends to stick to old schedule!!! it usually takes a week to adjust. Past week I ended up waking by 3am each morning, and turned from side to side until I fall asleep again. At least I did not make mistake of turning lights on or watching tv, those make situation worst! Than you end up living at night and sleeping daytime. It is much easier to plan kids' sleep schedule, luckily they both were fine.

I did not waste my sleepless early mornings for nothing, I prepared for driving license exam. Unfortunately my driving license was expired, and you cannot do anything without a license here! It is not only a license actually it is called 'ID', so where ever you go, bars, shopping, hospitals and etc first thing being asked is an 'ID'. Besides it is not a wise idea to drive with another country driver license, if it has not from one of few countries accepted by U.S government, if you got caught you are in big trouble!

When I was trying to learn all traffic rules, I remembered 1998, when I had my first driving license exam. I could not pass the traffic signs part, which was the first part anyway!!! So I had to retake it. Worst thing is, one of my dad's friend took me there, and I was so ashamed when I told him I could not pass! He had to bring me back next day!! I was only 23 and it was my third month in US, good old days... Than I thought about driving in Nairobi. From one place with no traffic rules to another one with so strictly enforced rules! 'Can it get better than this?' I said to myself! I was so used to driving around within my own rules in Nairobi that I was so concerned I would end up having an accident in day one in here! So I studied endlessly like a child until the exam day. My husband took me to DMV (Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles), I went in line again, it was like a dejavu after 15 yrs! Once my name was called, I was told that I do not need to take any of the exams, my license will be renewed. I was shocked, I either read the rules wrong, or my driver license expiration date has been noted wrong! So, I insisted on taking the exam, I said I studied so much I gotta take the exam. The women behind the desk just stared at me and said 'No mam, your driver license will be mailed to you in 5 business days!' My picture was taken , paid $32 and was at the door in 5 minutes. When my husband saw me he was shocked, because even though we had the same expiration dates on our licenses he had to take all exams! Lucky me:)

I did not waste anytime, and started driving my new car right away. After my old one in Nairobi, my new car felt like a Lamborghini:)

No comments:

Post a Comment