Monday 29 December 2014

12 hrs from Istanbul to Washington, DC!

Once we stepped inside of the plane, I prayed there will not be anyone sitting with us. My husband made our seat choices, and left one seat empty between our kids. Most of the times this method works, people do not want to sit in the middle, and there is a chance that seat can be empty. Once we settled I tried not to make an eye contact with other travellers like it helps:) My kids were already going crazy, opening their trays, jumping on their seats, putting the head lights on and off, I was praying not only to have a safe flight but also for an empty seat! There were six seats left empty and one of them was the seat between my kids! Lucky traveller! Imagine you have to sit between two crazy kids:)

After take off, I did not waste time and took a half of anxiety pill, I was so worried to take a whole, was not sure if I would fall asleep or not. After two hours of flight, I took other half! Put aside falling asleep I was not only wide awake I was also way too nervous, keep checking the flight info to see where the plane is (it makes a big difference from my end if the plane is over the ocean or not!!), not sure what is the logic behind it, but sometimes there is none in life!!!! By the end of long flight, there were only few pills left, the good news is, I did not take all those pills for nothing, it worked:)

I was so happy when my little one fall asleep after 4 hrs of nonstop toilet trips, eating and drinking. However, there was another toddler behind us (never sit close to people with children!!!!), and my son was wide awake in less than an hour of his sleep! This little girl was just screaming and yelling nonstop, as much as I felt bad for her parents, also as a parent I was just holding my breath! The worst part was all the kids in the plane started crying! You now know why I took so many pills!

We always fly with Turkish Airlines, and best thing about is food, they even have a chef who really cooks in the plane! During 12hrs of flight, eating becomes a main entertainment, I found myself eating every piece of food being served, watched 5 movies, played sudoku and free cell! 

Once we landed, I was so relieved, my tummy was full for couple of days and promised myself I would not watch TV for sometime. 

Because it was right before Christmas, Dulles Airport was very quite. Best part is, now US citizens do not have to go through regular entry points, there were small ATM type of machines for citizens to scan their passports and take own picture. We were done with entry less than five minutes, such a luxury for a woman travelling with two children:) 

Once we stepped outside, it was good to be home again after over 6 years:) and quitely I said to myself 'Welcome back home Zeynep...'

No comments:

Post a Comment