Tuesday 17 February 2015

Freezing cold in east coast!

So this is how it feels to live in -20 C! Either I am getting old and cannot remember clearly anymore or the climate in DC area drastically has changed! I wonder if there are still people do not believe weather shifts and climate changes!

Since we have arrived, the temperature is below 0 with few exceptions! Unfortunately that affect quality of life so much! As a person who always like outdoor sports and do it no matter what (I used to run even in unsafe areas in Nairobi!), I just cannot do it. This morning I had an attempt to run outside, but my body just did not like the idea! I just could not warm up, head to toe I felt the cold shivers and barely could not feel my toes!

Our parents are joking with us when we tell them how cold it is in here, and first question they ask is if we missed Kenya! Well from a climate perspective I am not going to lie, that was the so far most pleasant weather we lived in. But you cannot make your living decision based on the climate right, or can you?

When I left our garage this morning, I checked the temperature in the car, and it was showing 4 C, and I thought this is not bad, I can live with this. Once I opened the garage door and started driving, in less than 5 seconds it showed -15C! I froze just froze and stared at it without a glimpse! Coming back to quality of life, there is no doubt weather does affect it. Malls, indoor shopping centers and movie theatres are packed with people, there are no people outside! This morning our neighbor took their dogs outside, poor animals just run inside right away, like they saw a ghost, no kidding! Roads look like a deserted places, all cars are parked outside, very quite and calm.

So people who have no place to go, my thoughts and prays are with them. I read there are many government run shelters, and some parts of the city warm food service is being provided, and people are taken to shelters.

Stay warm and safe...

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment