Friday 20 February 2015

Raising bilingual children

Raising bilingual children is a very hard thing to do, not only it needs patience, more importantly it needs consistency. I have seen many kids basically refuse to learn or struggle between two languages in some cases three languages.

I heard, in some schools, they are teaching children 2 or more languages, is not it kind a too aggressive? It is one thing to grow in a bilingual environment (patents are native speaker of another language other than residing country), but teaching them one too many languages at school, not sure. Besides learning another language takes a lot of practise and needs a natural environment, otherwise it just gets limited within the school and eventually forgotten. My daughter was learning French in Kenya, now Spanish! That would be great if she can have basic language skills, but if not, it is also fine.

I have seen kids whom could not even speak one language for years properly, put aside two languages, poor children because of their parents inconsistency they just get confused! Eventually once they get a hold off one, they totally ignore the second one, there goes all the efforts!

Through my observations, some cultures are very good at raising bilingual children, like Chinese or Indians. Both are very attach to their language, their nativity, cultures, religion and they feel proud. I do envy that. Unfortunately in my culture it is the other way around! I totally believe it is about being happy and proud with your nationality and in your own skin...

When I was young, it was so important to speak English that people would not care if you speak your native language or not. Unfortunately it is still the same case for some.  They just would not care...Me? You probably know the answer by now:) it is very important for me that both of my children speak their mother tongue clear and clean. As a parent I would feel very much disappointed if my kids would not speak Turkish. It does not matter if we would live here all our lives or not.  I strongly believe language what makes you different from other people, you are not only learning a language you are also learning traditions and culture...

Well, let me tell you, it is one tough job and getting harder when the kids grow up. I think the key is make them love the language and have them understand the importance of it. That's what I am doing so far and it is working fine with little of bumps on the road, especially with my almost 9 yrs old! It comes with the package:) Who could blame them? From children's perspective it is not an easy job and most cases boring and meaningless...

As parents' we dream so much for our kids that we forget the big picture, most of the time, they actual are our dreams...It is important to make sure that our expectations are reasonable within limits of ours and our children's.

No comments:

Post a Comment