Tuesday 10 February 2015

My daughter started her new school

When my daughter started school in here a month ago, as a mother, I had some concerns. She went to an international school in Kenya that taught British curriculum, and I was not very happy with the quality of education she was getting. Unfortunately while we were living there she had to change two schools in three yers so we decided to keep her in her second school even though we were not satisfied. Let me mention, I am not one of those parents' whom are very ambitious, taking their kids from one class to another, but at the same time as a parent I wanted her to get a decent education where she would not feel behind once she attends another school in another country.

Once she started her new school in US, I noticed there is a difference between US education and private (British curriculum) education in Kenya. The problem was not the content, it was actually how that content is being presented to the children. Once she started bringing her homework, I saw she was having difficulty with the math problems, because she was not used to problem solving side of it, she was only doing calculations such as multiplications, divisions and etc in her old school. At time she felt like she could not handle these, they were too hard for her, and eventually she said she misses her old school, which was totally understandable. So, I decided to sit with her to assist her and encourage her everyway I can.

Other thing, literacy was totally different as well. She was used to do spelling all the time, she had spelling tests every other week in her old school, but here they do not do much spelling, there are lots of in class self-readings, writing and presentation. She used to bring a book every day, but was not doing anything else much. However, now she picks a book with her teacher's approval and do lots of self readings and discoveries. First time ever, last night, she wanted to read her book before she goes to bed, and as a mother I was very delighted to her that:)

No comments:

Post a Comment