Monday 16 February 2015

Thoughts on public education in Fairfax, VA

No matter where you live, if you have children or even plan to have children, choosing a school becomes centre of life! That's true! When we bought our house, we heard so much from our friends about private vs. public schools, after school activities, weekend activities and academic curriculum in this area. With much of a resistance, slowly I turned one of those people, who talks about schools! It comes with the package, no denial here!

After living in three continents and three countries I came to a conclusion, there is not one rule but many. And that change where you live, what your expectations are, financial situations and the environment. As parents our priority is always our children's safety and well being. So when we were  living in Kenya we had no choice but private education and that's what we did. Same case when we were living in Turkey, we could not send our daughter to public school even though me and my husband always believe in public education.

After my husband got a job offer, we again decided to move:) but this time to U.S. With a relief, I knew this time it would be much easier, and finally we send our children to public schools. There, I started researching and reading parents comments and experiences for public education in VA and finally we were able to do what we believe is right as a parent.

First thing first, through Fairfax County Public School boundary locator www.boundary.fcps.edu , I was able to find which public school we were assigned based on our zip code. Through www.grateschools.org I was able to read and learn about our new school. I was very surprised to see all the information (ratings for cleanliness to safety to parent involvement to academic performance) was made public. It may be normal for some, but for me it was a delightful surprise:). After contacting school via email, school administration send us few forms and asked us to go to FCPS Center once we arrive to US. Due to growing up in a bilingual family and coming from non US education system she was required to get tests mainly on her language skills. After we arrived we took our daughter to the center and got her tests and there she was accepted right away. School was very welcoming, administration was so informative that I could not even compare our experiences last few years. It was always a hurdle to get information from school! I had to be always on top of the school and teacher to make sure everything was going well! Finally, registering our daughter into a school was an uneventful experience, exactly the way it was supposed to be...

When I went to drop off her paperwork, I was very impressed with what I saw. From class sizes, to big library to lunch menu to gym to music rooms and auditorium I just could not believe, and this is a public school! (Again, there is a comparison I just cannot help myself!) Probably people who were born and raised in here would not surprised as much as I am. But I do appreciate all the opportunities kids have in public education system. It is a luxury for majority people in the world...

I had a chance to walk around the classrooms while the children were in their class. I was utterly shocked when I saw kids sitting on the floor reading their books, while some were discussing their items with their teacher, some were even having their snack on their table while they were reading their book. It made me think my days in school, and how bored I felt, sometimes was afraid of my teacher, some days I was not even brave enough to lift my hand to speak...

Her new classmates were very welcoming, they all made her a welcome cards, and thanks to living in different countries and cultures my daughter was also became a very adaptive child. Day one she did not feel like an outsider...

It is a choice to make but a very important one. Due your diligent work, it is definitely worth your time. Education is a lifetime investment, it is not only academic decision there is also social aspect of it.






No comments:

Post a Comment