Sunday 30 March 2014

Work Options and Solutions

When you are an expat wife, in terms of work options possibilities are very low . The reasons are, expat wifes do not have work permits and places like Africa the unemloyment is very high. And also even though your background fits perfectly, companies have to go through this long employment process which is a huge burden from a financial point (just recently Kenyan government changed the law, and finding a job for an expat became harder than ever...). Besides, even you find a job and a company who is willing to pay and wait for you, the salary would be low (of course it depends what you compare with).

So majority of expat wives I know, do not work. And again some of them are very happy with that. I think I am on the other side of the coin! First year or more, I really tired hard to find a job. Because I always worked except first two years of my children after they were born. So my suggestion for you, if you are going to be an expat wife in Kenya and want/plan to work, start your search now! Use whatever connections you have, do not wait to move here!

I also know other expat wives who come up with other ideas such as buying clothes, accessories, home goods and products etc. from other countries and selling them online or in store. (there are many things you can bring here, because there is a fast-growing consumer population and they do not have many options). Some of them bake/cook and sell them, there are some offer private gym classes such as yoga, pilates and etc.

One of my solution was 'writing'. Also, exactly a year ago, I went back to being a student! And just recently, completed my 'Life Coach' training and became a 'Certified Life Coach' :) Honestly, I did not do it to keep myself busy, I did it for personal development and self discovery, and am planning to start my practise (have quite a few clients already:))

So I guess it depends what you want to accomplish and what your priorities are. This is where you need to be creative:) Sky is the limit:)



No comments:

Post a Comment