Wednesday 9 July 2014

Popular topic among expats!

Every Holiday season, there is one ever changing topic, 'Holiday, where, when and how long'!
When holiday season approaches, we, expat wives, start to ask each other 'where are you going on a holiday?', 'when are you coming back?' and that question 'where are you staying at?'  We, expats, kind a have no home or lets say we call too many places home where you end with no home!!!

Last week of school, everybody was telling each other, how hard it is to find a place to stay. Is not that funny,we all come from different backgrounds and cultures, but common thing was "staying at parents'"house. I loved it:)

When people ask me, where home is, I pause and think, 'yes, where is home?' ''Is Kenya our home now, how about US, the place we lived 15+yrs, or Turkey? the place where we grow-up (kind a!!)" So each holiday (I call it "vacation") me and my husband look each other and ask ourselves 'where this time?'. US is too far away, Turkey is closer but we have no home to our own, or Kenya but Kenya is not in the list most of the time since we need to take a break, a physical one! So after long discussions, since we went to US during Christmas, we have decided it is Turkey's turn! Next question, which is an important one, 'where are we going to stay at?'. Both of our parents live in Turkey, Istanbul and Bodrum. Unfortunately, being away after so many years it is not easy to stay at parents' house, put aside with two children...Last year, we rented an furnished apartment in Bagdat Street, Asian/Anatolian side in Istanbul. It was very nice, tried to keep the children as much busy as I can! Even our Kenyan helper, Teresia, joined us, which was a lovely experience for her and she loved it! Again, it is not easy to stay at somebody elses' house you do not even know...We made to most of it, and enjoyed it a lot. But this year, we decided to stay at my parents' house for sometime, since my husband would join us later on. I have put my two children to summer camps in here. This past Monday, they both started their camps, and they are loving it! My daughter, Dilara, loves to be around Turkish children. She finds it fun and interesting, learns from them a lot:) Today, she even told me about Turkish pop singer she heard about:) Camps in here are lovely, they have many activities for children both fun and educational. School bus pick them up in the morning and drop them of, from their smiling faces I can tell they are very happy, that's all matters for  me:) And what am I doing when they are at summer school? I have my Turkish tea in thin waist tea glass with my mom, shop and enjoy the warm weather in the pool!

On the other end in Nairobi, my husband told me our compound is so quite, it looks like a deserted place! Even the roads are empty, there is no traffic at all! I told him "not surprised, because expats wives are cleared from the roads!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment