Tuesday 18 November 2014

Nonstop packing!

For some, it is never easy to pack a luggage put aside moving the whole house every few years! I am not even mentioning moving to another country here!! You would think moving companies do everything for you, right? But let me tell you something, it is a myth! I have done this so many times (I fell ashamed to put actual number here:)) that I know what to expect! I kinda became a professional mover. With every moving experience I become more practical and problem solver:)

Since my husband is very much always busy, I started my job by contacting international moving companies. I did not research too much though, because what I heard and experienced, there is one company majority of people use, that is AGS. It sounds like I am marketing them, but it is what it is. Since AGS was the company that helped us moving in, and they were very professional and efficient, without a second thought AGS was our first choice.  Of course, if you do not have many items, you may opt to go with another company, but if you are a family of four like us, and got many many items you do not want to experience any problem at all!

I have contacted AGS via the website, got the response in less than a week. This is how it works: First AGS sends over a rep to go over the house and makes a list, then another rep send the quote via email. After deciding on a specific moving date, you get to sign bunch of paperwork's. Than AGS provide you vessel info and approx. arrival dates. Once the decision is made, you are ready for the big day!

When we moved here, we had a 40ft container. Since the day we moved in, I have been planning to downsize our furniture. You cannot imagine how many unused items we had! But I think it is always the same case for everyone, sometimes we see something and without a second thought we buy it, at the end it is no surprise that we only use it for few times...(isn't it that called consumer economy!). Since I never like the idea of people touching my clothes and personal items, I went ahead and started with my packing. Ikea sells these great foldable boxes and they are life savers during the move. By the way they are very durable, you can use them over and over again. At the end, I got what I deserved, it took two weeks for me to pack our personal items!  At one point, I thought I was going crazy with clothes, toys, shoes scattered on the floor! No matter what, it was a great opportunity do donations and give away.

Probably not every three years (!) but sometimes in our life time, we all need to move to do a house cleaning! Do not you all agree?:)




No comments:

Post a Comment