Tuesday 20 May 2014

Dark nights in Nairobi

Lately, there have been lots of power cuts in Nairobi. Funny thing is few weeks back, power cut was in whole country. Imagine that! Is not that something? Usually the routine is, we have power cuts throughout the week, but most of the time, it is back before it gets dark. It is a smart thing to do in Africa, right? Put the power back on before it gets dark... Anyhow, after living in here for over two years now, I get used to it, and stopped complaining (seriously I do not) . That's called adjusting:) However, it really surprised me when I heard the power cut was all over Kenya, of course when you are inside of your home and do not go out after certain time of the day, you do not know this. So, word of mouth is a great resource and gotta definitely check local news. At the end end, there was a major problem in one of the circuit, which interestingly affected the whole country. I still do not get it how though...

So last week we had another major power cut, and our inverter picked-up, however even the generators/inverters sometimes not useful anymore! In this case, after somewhere around 7-8 hrs of power cut, right around 7-8pm I heard that 'beep' sound coming from our inverter. And than I thought, here we go again, so got all the candles ready! They get very handy here, not for making house look cosy but to light it up:) So, there I was with my children, my husband was away as usual (even sometimes feel like he does this intentionally, picking the right week to travel!!) Worst part was we also had a water cut as well!! We had a extra water storage but how can you use the water pump without the power!!! So we ended up with dark and no water, but thanks to tons of candles, I was able to light-up the house. That night, when I opened our upstairs window and took a peek outside, I felt little uncomfortable cause of the silence and dark, only the stars were out there. Luckily, kids do not see what we see. They love the lighting the candle or blowing them, they even play games in the dark. Sometimes, I want to be a kid as well...




No comments:

Post a Comment