Monday 5 May 2014

Macaron

My daughter loves this chic looking cookie, and she cannot have enough, can even eat whole box of macaron if I let her!! When I introduced to macaron many years ago at one of popular local pastry in DC, I became an instant fan! So once in a while, macarons become something whole family looked forward to eat! Even yesterday, when I was on Skype with my parents, my dad asked my son what he wants from him, and without an hesitation my son said 'macaron, grandpa!!' I was in shock, where did it come from?? Is it something he loves so much, or what!!!!

I was so into it, I even searched internet and found out macaron's history! I know, I sound kind a weird here, but I did!!! Not much of a surprise, the Macaron cookie was born in Italy, introduced by the chef of Catherine de Medicis in 1533, who married the Duc d'Orleans who became king of France in 1547 as Henry II.  The term "macaron" has the same origin as that the word "macaroni" -- both mean "fine dough".  Interesting enough,  first Macarons were simple cookies, made of almond powder, sugar and egg whites.  Beginning of the 20th century the Macaron become a "double-decker" affair.  Pierre Desfontaines, the grandson of Louis Ernest Laduree (Laduree pastry and salon de the rue Royale in Paris) had the idea to fill them with a "chocolate panache" and to stick them together.  Since that day, French Macaron has been nationally acclaimed in France and remains the best-selling cookie in pastry in all over the world. And I totally agree!
After moving here, I stopped by each and every pastry, (not many options here...)and see if they sell macaron. Honestly not for myself, but for my daughter!!! And when I dined at Lucca, something in the pastry corner was just calling me!! And there I saw these lovely cookies, and without an hesitation I got a box of it and took it home. My children would probably be never happy for something else, trust me, not even for a Barbie doll!!!

Luckily, it was a Macaron Day At Kempinski and they offered freshly baked and creatively made macarons at K Lounge. Obviously, The Chef was very busy in the kitchen, making these tasty and palatable cookies, coming with all different flavors, pistachio, lemon, strawberry, chocolate and much more. If you ever be around Kempinski, worth to stop by, everybody needs a little mindless self indulgence now and then:) As a warning, macarons are highly addictive! One is certainly not enough!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment